Whether you use Instagram for business or for pleasure, the probability of wanting a following and getting higher Instagram engagement is high. As part of my blogging tips series, I’m sharing a few pointers to improve your aesthetic, purpose, and Instagram engagement rate.
Listen up! This is important. Before you post remember to ALWAYS plan beforehand. That means you don’t need to do anything other than hit post.
- 12-20 hashtags ready to post on comments. Change them up for every post.
- Edited Picture + Caption drafted on IG
- Engagement. Like & Comment on your favorite accounts, friends, and followers + hashtags (more info on this below)
- Share your post for a higher reach. IG stories, Facebook, Pinterest, Tumblr…and do it immediately after you hit post.
SHOULD I POST THIS?
Your answer should not be, “I just haven’t posted anything today”. Frankly, no one really cares what you’re doing every second of the day. They want to see something that provides value or entertainment. Every picture should reflect you, or your brand. How’s the quality? Is your editing consistent?
Best Photo Editing Apps
- Lightroom (you’ll need the subscription & desktop to download presets)
- VSCO (yearly subscription)
- Tezza (haven’t tried but also has a subsprition)
P.S. Support your favorite photographers on Instagram and buy one of their Lightroom presets!
Do you post regularly and at your most optimal times? If the answer is no, consider doing so. Followers will come back and get used to regularly seeing your posts on their feed. You don’t need to post everyday, but don’t wait a week before you start planning your next post.
I use UNUM to schedule and have a consistent feed. From now on take a minute to plan your next three posts and make sure it doesn’t make your feed look messy.
AM I CONNECTING WITH MY FOLLOWERS?
Share your story and let your followers know what you’re all about. It can be a little intimidating to share something personal, but your followers will feel a connection with you and begin to engage.
TIPS ON ENGAGING
- Like and reply to all comments (the quicker the better)
- Then, head to their profile and like/comment on their pictures
- Go to your favorite/most used hashtags and like/comment on the top 9 pictures and most recent. Then, go to other users using those hashtags and like/engage on their content
- Make a list of your favorite accounts and engage with their followers. Look at who’s commented and head to their feed, and you guessed it, ENGAGE!
Take 30-60 minutes a day. It’s time consuming, but eventually you’ll have those accounts engaging with your content and maybe even get a few new followers. I can guarantee this will bring your Instagram engagement rate way up once you make it into a habit!
AM I PROVIDING VALUE?
Instagram has turned into creative/teaching outlet. Not just for brands, but EVERYONE. Which is why it’s so much harder to gain followers. Users are looking for a connection; some value; some damn inspiration. Unless you’re selena gomez, a selfie and no caption will have absolutely no engagement.
Do you ever ask yourself, “why the hell am I following this person?” and immediately unfollow them? The same goes for all your followers.
HOW YOU CAN BRING VALUE TO YOUR IG
- Tips & Lists people love lists. Are you proud of how awesome you’re doing at making em? Make a list of all your tips on making lists. Not the most interesting topic, but you get the point.
- Tell people who you are (and how you can bring value)
- Tell a story
- Ask questions. Get to know your followers. In return, you might figure out why they follow you and how you can bring more value to them so they keep coming back.
DO I HAVE A CALL TO ACTION?
Be descriptive. Ask questions. The first line of your caption is the most CRITICAL. So, make it count!
Using IG stories
- Use stories to interact with your followers!
- use polls
- ask them to engage on your latest post
- Use Canva, unfold, or other apps to make your stories stand out from the rest
IS THIS A HIGH-QUALITY PHOTO
Don’t expect to get much engagement if the picture you just shared is pixellated. Lay off the excessive filters. Less is more. No matter how many layers of crappy filters you lay on em, it probably still sucks.
You don’t need a professional camera per se, you can use your phone, but remember these tips:
- Shoot in natural daylight.
- Location. Before a shoot, Scout your locations. Do you want a city vibe or a something more scenic? Note down all your favorite places to remember when you’re in a rut.
- Turn on the grid feature. (if you’re shooting with your phone)
- Rule of thirds. Divide your photo into thirds and line it up.
- Centered Composition. (if you want to be centered, less is more!)
- Adjust Exposure.
- Bring some props with you!
- More tips HERE
Finally check out the links below for tutorials on how to take better Instagram photos:
Care to share your tips on how to increase Instagram engagement rate? Leave them in the comments and don’t forget to share!