Is Peru on your travel list? If it’s not, it should be! I’m sure Machu Picchu is on there but have you thought about visiting the Amazon Rainforest? Nik and I just got back. The place is unreal! I’m sharing my mini travel guide on the Amazon Rainforest and our stay at Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica.
There’s so damn much to see and do. You’re surrounded by so much biodiversity. It’s a completely different culture. There’s no cell service, roads, or power lines. It’s an experience of a lifetime and to be completely honest, this trip has been my favorite one I’ve been on with Nik, ever.
It was such an adventure, and at the same time, incredibly romantic. We stayed at the Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica and booked the Tambopata Suite. The lodge is beautiful, inside and out! Our suite had a private terrace + pool out back and hammocks up front.
Our Itinerary at Inkaterra
- Picked up from airport
- Explore lodge & our cabin
- Spa: jacuzzi + massages
- Dinner + bottle of wine for a relaxing night in
- Lake Sandoval Excursion
- Animal Reserve Excursion
- Dinner + Wine
- Cooking class + Explore hotel
- Hacienda Concepcion Excursion
- Dinner + Wine
- Butterfly Gardens
- Flight back to Lima
There are budget-friendly ways to visit the Amazon but if you’re looking for a romantic & adventurous getaway, or planning your honeymoon , I would absolutely recommend this trip and include Machu Picchu as well!
Where to Stay
- 3-4 nights at Inkaterra Reserva Amazónica or Inkaterra Hacienda Concepción.
- Everything about the hotel is breathtaking! The food, the location, the service, the excursions, and the views! I 10000% recommend staying here.
What to Pack
- Cargo pants
- tank tops
- long sleeve shirts (I wore my bf’s columbia shirt nearly everyday or an oversized linen shirt)
- 1-2 dresses/jumpsuits
- Bathing suit
- Hat +Sunglasses
- Jungle juice (they have natural repellent there)
- A camera or go-pro
- Anker charger
- They’ll provide boots so you won’t need to buy hiking boots if you don’t own any.
- Note: it is HOT and there are tons of mosquitos. Pack breathable, oversized shirts and shorts/dresses to wear when you’re not on an excursion.
What to Do
- A day to relax at the spa
- Hike to Lake Sandoval
- Hike at Hacienda Concepcion
- A night tour
- The canopy walk
- Take a cooking class (if it’s raining, order a glass of wine and just have fun with it!)
- Visit the animal reserve
- Rainforest Garden Excursion
- Private Dinner
- Go on the paid excursion to catch Piranhas. They’ll bring it back and cook it for your dinner that night!