I fell into the dark and delicious hole that any sane individual should never let themselves into. I gazed in awe and jealousy of every delicious Instagram shot and every mouth-watering smell until I finally gave in and climbed down that hole. I developed a foodie addiction. I wasn’t aware for the first months because I told myself it was only temporary and I just needed to enjoy all of it until the fad passed, but it never did. I was in denial. I considered myself the superwoman of all the food lovers in the world. The addictions were bad. I quit my gym membership. I quit cooking except when I was making quadruple stuffed grilled cheese and bacon Paninis. I quit life. And there I was thinking I could strut my stuff and stuff my face without any consequences. I looked at myself in the mirror after I’d devour red velvet cake and all you can eat sushi and thought, “well fuck”. I woke up the next day to eat yet another unreasonably sized burger. This went on for a while until my pants would no longer fit.
I decided to grow a pair and get myself into a routine. I am not a food blogger. I’m not a fitness blogger. I am just a girl looking to get her shit together. I’ve never been on a detox but I figured the best way to start a healthy, yet unbelievably indulging diet was to start off with a 3 day diy juice detox to get my meal routine in order, clean out all the toxins, get my system filled with vitamins and nutrients and control my cravings. I Googled away.
Did you know detox cleansing kits cost up to $200 or more?! Hell no. Momma needs a new pair of shoes! I Googled a few more recipes and finally got one down and made my own DIY 3-Day Juice cleanse.
Like Santa Clause or the Easter bunny I thought the way people talked about their new-found love for juice detox were just a way to let you believe in something surreal and blissful. I was so wrong.
Here’s What Happened:
- I finally got some self-control
- I was never starving, I only had cravings
- I was motivated to keep eating healthy
- I saw an insane reduction in bloating and cellulite
- I got a meal routine in order
- I can control my cravings
- I realized I don’t always have to eat whatever someone is raging about on social media
- It’s not a permanent lose weight fast solution
- I felt incredible after
- I cut down on coffee (I drink 5+ cups of black coffee a day)
- It’s been a week after and I’m down almost 10 lbs.
I’m not going to lie it was difficult but I was never hungry. I felt cravings of course. Who doesn’t want chocolate cake and a cold beer every hour of the day? But if you’re up for it…
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 1 Large Ginger Root
- 2 Bunches of Kale
- 2 Bunches of Celery
- 6 Large Cucumbers
- 6 Beets
- 6 Lemons
- 9 Naval Oranges
- 12 Green Apples
- 30 Carrots
- Cashew Milk (store-bought is fine or DIY recipe here)
DIY 3 Day Juice Cleanse:
This is the Juicer I use! It’s a little pricey but it’s the best one I’ve ever had or tried!
Here are a list of other juicers (within a reasonable budget!)
- Oster JusSimple Easy Juicer
- Hamilton Beach Big Mouth Pro Juicer- 67650
- Hamilton Beach HealthSmart Juice Extractor
- Omega 4000 Pulp Ejection Juicer
Super Green Detox:
Add all ingredients to juicer: 2 large cucumber, 1 lemon, 1-2 in. ginger, 8 kale leaves, 2 green apples. You can store it up to 24 hours.
Purple Power Detox:
Add all ingredients to juicer: 2 beets (peeled), 2 green apple, 8 celery, 1 lemon (peeled). You can store it up to 24 hours.
Orange Addiction Detox:
Add all ingredients to juicer: 10 Carrots, 3 naval oranges, 1-2 in. ginger. You can store it up to 24 hours
Here is an article with all the benefits of Juice Cleanses
- Drink a lot of water
- Think of them as your meal. Sit down, pace yourself, enjoy it
- Drink every 2-3 hours
- Do it with a partner It makes it so much easier
- Prepare everything the night before
- Do it only because you really want to, not because you want to lose weight fast!
- Don’t spiral back to any bad eating habits
- Avoid heavy exercising
- Buy Organic
8 AM: Super Green Detox (16 oz.)
10 AM: Purple Power (16 oz.)
12 PM: Orange Addiction (16 oz.)
2 PM: Super Green Detox (16 oz.)
4 PM: Purple Power (16 oz.)
6 PM: Orange Addiction (16 oz.)
8 PM: Cashew Milk (12 oz.)
It’s been over a week after my detox and maintaining a healthy diet and meal routine and I have never felt better. Have any of you tried a juice detox? Share your stories in the comments section below!